1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Service Announcement! Windmill blades don't bend!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ender_AB, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ender_AB

Ender_AB Administrator

I am posting this thread on a personal note. Just clarifying that to prevent any confusion as to an official staff opinion on this matter: there isn't any. This is my own personal opinion.

Ahum:

This is what a classic windmill looks like:

[​IMG]
    I'd like you to put some focus on the upper part. The 'blades' or 'sails' to be specific.

For some reason that I can't explain, somebody in the history of Minecraft has decided that it would be a good idea to design a windmill with these sails somewhat curved.

Maybe he was trying to design it in a fashion that it gives off a sense of movement. Maybe he was an idiot and didn't have a reason at all.
    However.
    Somehow,
    it turned into a fashion that a lot of later builders copied.

As you can see on some websites, it even happens that a person that pretends to be a building advisor claims that the "turning" blades are the way to go here. The result usually ends up something like this:

[​IMG]

If you compare the image of an actual windmill to this image here, you can clearly see a difference. If you point the finger towards the 'illusion of movement or rotation' to justify this bending of (very sturdy) wood.

Well. Here is a couple of Dutch people talking about windmills while also showing windmills with turning blades.

Tell me where they turn that fast that they appear to be bended!
    In real life they never turn that fast. That just doesn't make sense. It was all wood, fabric and stone back in that time. Not a lot of concrete. Especially not a lot of steel.

If you are portraying classical mill blades bended like that you may very well be trying to recreate a 'still' of a situation that seems somewhat like this:

If you are trying to create this... very well; carry on.
    If you are trying to create an actual windmill, keep in mind: that stuff doesn't bend that much, ever. Nor does it spin very fast. Those mills were about turning wind energy into pure power. Not about turning wind into speed.
    The classic windmills have people that live in them that work on the mills to prevent this kind of situation from happening. Too fast = futile.

This means that there are only a couple of ways of building a windmill in an acceptable fashion (in my opinion):

1. Straight blades:
    [​IMG]
    This is the way to go in my opinion. It might look a little 'easy' to do the blades straight like that, but it is really the only way in MC to do it legit.

2. Diagional:
    [​IMG]
    This is the way to go if you think that straight blades are too boring or easy. This only works if you are making the entire mill big enough.

------------------
    End of public service announcement.
    Thank you for reading.
  2. JackHMMR

JackHMMR Active Member

I see windmill, I approve
  3. Sami_Darkangel

Sami_Darkangel Conspiracy Bot Staff Member

4. Benji

Benji Active Member

Me Gusta.
  5. its just a block game,you dont have to add reality to this,just build what you like,and the curved windmill may not be legit IRL,but it looks cooler in minecraft,like srsly why would you post this....