1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Chat Rules & Some News

Discussion in 'News' started by Jamm, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Jamm

Jamm Well-Known Member Staff Member

Greetings Theorists,

I'm making this post to have an open discussion about the chat filter and what you guys think we should allow/not allow, along with some other information you may find important.

The Chat Rules

Over time, our playerbase has gotten older, and I know that mutes can cause a lot of unnecessary drama and angst towards us, because it's simply not realistic to always deal out punishments for every infraction 24/7. One person gets muted for something, the other doesn't because it was missed or no one was online. It's a system that results in a lot of salt, which is always going to be a thing on a competitive gamemode- but how do you guys think we should handle this? If we're not doing it right, what do you consider to be right?

The real reason I've been slow to make the chat filter more lenient is because back in 2013 when this was just a hobby for me, my goal was to just create a safer and better environment for everyone. But I think now, you guys are old enough to where you see this restriction as something you've grown past, or would like an option to opt out of it to say what you want (as long as it's not excessive). I don't know if you guys remember this, but back in 2016 we gave a much more lenient chat filter a go, and the server became unbearably toxic. I would rather that not be the outcome here, so maybe we should just change how we moderate the chat as far as punishments.

Prior to this post we've already removed some words from the filter such as "ffs" and "wtf" because those are generally harmless.

Where have I been?

I'm still online every day, but I spend most of my time in dev. I've felt an increased amount of tension when I'm on Invasion between you guys and myself, and I know it's because you guys feel like we aren't being consistent and true to our word. This map hasn't been an easy one for us, but I believe we're moving towards a better overall experience- but way too slowly. Since promoting Tebl to be the manager of Invasion, I feel like I've faded back more than ever in regards to leadership of the staff team and have tried passing more of my normal work onto other people to free time up for me to work on the development and gameplay. This obviously is not working out like it should. It's just frustrating having to wear so many hats, being responsible for so many things at once. Just know that we are trying to improve the situation as much as possible, and I do apologize if you guys feel let down at all.

What now?

I'm going to ditch my attitude of letting other people lead the team, because it's not working like we planned or moving at the pace that it needs to. Tebl is still a manager of Invasion, but I will be playing the bigger role I used to play in everything and attempt to get things moving more smoothly and consistently. Billy has agreed to come back aboard and I have promoted Tx back to his former Moderator status. Thots is also due a promotion because I think he's done a great job as Helper thus far. We're going to try being less stubborn when it comes to your feedback about the staff team, and see how we can improve instead of just acting like we're already adequate.

Feedback

With that being said, things can always change for the better. Please feel free to discuss the chat filter/rules issue below and if you have any problems with me or the staff team, that's welcome too. We're willing to work towards some better change, but we need good constructive criticism and thought-out posts with your unbiased opinions on these topics and why you feel that way to make the changes happen. Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and please keep the comments civil, we're human too.

~Jamm

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. YouBeCombo

YouBeCombo Well-Known Member

Billy back oh no ‍♂️ Tebl demoted??
  3. Jamm

No, he's definitely not demoted haha. We're just going to be working more as a team.
  4. xtend123

xtend123 Well-Known Member

I see your finally getting to take better responsibility for your server. Good job son.
  5. YouBeCombo

YouBeCombo Well-Known Member

nice

6. Speedy

Speedy Active Member

Now they understand
  7. Fromgeorgian

Fromgeorgian Member

Well,I appreciate that you came out and told what's up nice thread
  8. RazotayX

RazotayX Well-Known Member

Billy Is Back!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! Welcome back Billy, pls no bully Billy no more. Pls.

Ty Jamm.

Id like for you to be allowed to swear generally, but not excessively.
  9. 123propack

123propack Member

Things like "kys" racist and really offensive words should never be allowed. But I agree with what you said small things like wtf, ffs, fml etc should be allowed. I dont know correct me if i am wrong if gay is censored it should not be.
  10. RazotayX

RazotayX Well-Known Member

Abbreviations should be allowed, MAYBE even kys Maybe.
  11. Jamm

Gay is usually used in a homophobic manner, though. That's the problem with that.
  12. giga_08

giga_08 Well-Known Member

Gay is fine, but faggot is a really offensive towards homosexuals.
  13. giga_08

I really think we should just remove chat filter, and give donors bypass on chat cool down, it's really annoying having to wait 3 second to type.
  14. Jamm

Please remove your sig or set it to a smaller version.
  15. Jamm

What words do you guys think we should allow that weren't allowed before? I don't know what the purpose of having the chat filter is and blocking "fuck" if we don't block the other forms of it. Things like wtf and ffs I don't see a problem with, but I'd like to just have the worst words completely blocked along with the ways people usually use to bypass it so they can just say it and it will bleep it out.
  16. giga_08

I personally would prefer no filter at all, by the way why is penis vagina and gay filtered....
  17. Flash_Jordan_

Flash_Jordan_ Active Member

3 of gigas favourite words the absolute sex demon
  18. 123propack

123propack Member

I dont think "*****" is that bad maybe think about making it not censored
  19. 123propack

123propack Member

rip its censored here too nvm
  20. xEst is cute

xEst is cute Member

I appreciate you taking the time to make this thread to improve the chat filter that hasn't changes for ages. There are some words that don't need to be filtered to be honest. This is factions so the chat rules should not be same/similar to survival. The players are totally different from each other one peaceful the other aggressive. The staff team should really take in count for what should and should not be allowed to say in chat by making a list. Also, why must faction be filtered as well it should be a place where we can talk freely to each other. I'm against the new faction chat filter except for the fact that you cant spam in faction chat disregarding /f title spam.